Thursday, December 2, 2010

Beloved

My name - Amy - is the Anglicized version of the Old French "Amee", meaning "beloved", which originated as a nickname from the Latin "Amata", from "amare", meaning "to love".

As I got older, I discovered that the name David also means "beloved" in Hebrew. Because of this, I have always felt a kinship with King David in the Bible. I've spent a lot of time reading the Psalms and trying to understand why the Bible said that he was a man after God's own heart. What I found was that no matter how many times David sinned, he was always repentant and genuinely sought God's will. He had given his whole heart to God and was very aware of his weakness without Him.

I am trying to learn from the example of David. I'm far from perfect and am daily thankful for God's grace. When I realize that I've fallen short of the mark, which is often, I repent and seek God's face for forgiveness. I pray for wisdom and patience and grace and love toward others. 

I fail. And then I pray some more.

I pray that God will be able to say the same of me that He said of David. 

1 Kings 14:8 God said David "followed me [God] with all his heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment